The Ultimate Guide to Pemberton in Australia’s South West
Pemberton is an exquisite region in Australia’s South West boasting majestic Karri Forest, adrenaline-fueled activities, windswept coastline, tranquil lakes and a wealth of historical and heritage-listed sites. It is also home to 466 hectares of vineyards, producing exquisite cool-climate wines.
Smithbrook is one of Pemberton’s pioneering wineries, with the first vines planted in the 1980s and boasts some of the most highly acclaimed wines in the region. Under Senior Winemaker Ben Rector’s guidance, these wines exhibit a rich expression of terroir showing ‘cool climate elegance in a glass’.
To celebrate the Pemberton region, we have put together a list of some of the best activities and places to stay alongside the perfect Smithbrook wine pairing.
Top six things to do in Pemberton
1. Take a scenic ride on the historic Pemberton Tramway travelling through the giant Karri Forest, over man-made wooden bridges built in the 1920s and past the powerful, fast-moving water of the Cascades.
After a beautiful and picturesque trip, wind down with a delicious glass of the award-winning Smithbrook Single Vineyard Merlot to finish off a great day.
2. Get your adrenaline pumping with an action-packed day at the Pemberton Mountain Bike Park. There are 30 kilometres worth of trails to explore, as well as a jump and pump track where you can practice getting some air.
After working up a sweat on the pedals relax with the Smithbrook Estate White Blend, a perfectly refreshing drop to cool off with.
3. Book into one of the 4WD Yeagarup Dunes tours and enjoy spectacular views over the sand dunes to the wild ocean and beyond. You can also stop off at tranquil Lake Yeagarup.
Pack a picnic full of local products and a bottle of the 94 points Halliday-awarded Smithbrook Single Vineyard Nebbiolo to enjoy as you unwind at the lake.
4. Bring your rods or handlines and spend an afternoon or early morning fishing in the beautiful local rivers for trout or marron.
Enjoy your freshwater catch with the Smithbrook Single Vineyard Chardonnay for a truly exquisite pairing.
5. Built in the 1920s, the heritage-listed Pemberton Pool is framed by towering Karri trees and offers a stunning environment to take in the surrounding natural beauty and enjoy a swim.
You are able to bring your own food and drink to the pool so make sure to pack a bottle of the Smithbrook Estate Red Blend to share with friends.
6. The Karri Forest Explorer Drive is a popular 86-kilometre route taking you past a number of local attractions through majestic Karri trees, making you feel very small amongst nature’s giants.
Reflect on the day’s drive as you sip on the newly released Smithbrook Single Vineyard Pinot Noir – you may even be able to smell the forest floor you have been travelling through.
Top six places to stay in Pemberton
1. With panoramic views over the surrounding countryside, Scarlet Woods Chalets offer four private chalets in a peaceful and relaxing environment.
Watch the sunset over the valley with a glass of the Smithbrook Single Vineyard Nebbiolo.
2. Offering rooms built over a stunning lake in Beedelup, the RAC Karri Valley Resort offers a number of rooms in a great location, near all of the most popular attractions in the area.
Sit on your private balcony overlooking the tranquil lake and take in the view with the Smithbrook Estate White Blend.
3. For a modern stay in the heart of Pemberton town, book one of Jaspers Cabins for two people, or reserve all three for a group of friends or family. Bonus – complimentary Nespresso!
Share a bottle of the Smithbrook Estate Red Blend in the evening while you catch up on the day’s events.
4. Stay in one of the log cabin-inspired cottages hidden away in the beautiful forest at Balingup Heights, each with a private balcony.
Take in the spectacular serenity of nature with an outdoor woodfire and a glass of Smithbrook Single Vineyard Merlot.
5. For a home away from home, you have Silkwood Estate just outside of Pemberton town with a well-equipped kitchen and lounge area overlooking a private lake.
Cook a beautiful meal with local produce and enjoy a glass of the Smithbrook Single Vineyard Pinot Noir.
6. For the ultimate cozy stay in Pemberton, you have the heritage-listed cottage Millars by the Lake. Nestled in amongst the Karri trees, enjoy the view from the warmth of the indoor fireplace.
Stargaze while you soak in the outdoor bath with a glass of the Smithbrook Single Vineyard Chardonnay.
Shop all of our Smithbrook wines here.